The Fairy Tale Journey: To the Centre of Self
A Two-Part workshop
Click HERE to register for PART 2 of this workshop series.
Fairy tales have been transmitted orally through many generations and have survived the test of time because they speak of essential human experience which touches us on a subconscious level. The fairy-tale journey into unexplored worlds is paralleled by an inner journey into unexplored regions of the self. As we travel in the shoes of the characters we observe how they resolve conflicts and overcome obstacles in their paths, and this can help us do the same in our everyday lives.
In this 2- part workshop, we explore this fascinating world of fairy tales with a view to how it can help us accompany our clients in their process.
- We will define what a fairy tale is and discuss the symbolic language of fairy tales
- We will examine the four parts of the journey and how it relates to self-discovery
- We will explore aspects of self in fairy tales
- We will connect with a fairy tale character and see what they wish to reveal to us
- We will connect with a scene from a fairy tale and explore it through drawing
- We will step into the story through roleplay and / or symbolic psychodrama
- We will reflect on how this resonates within us in our daily life
- We will see how fairy tales provide a safe space to work on issues that come up in the story such as abandonment, eating disorders, vanity, envy, deceit, lust etc.
- We will look at ways of using fairy tales with clients of different ages
- We will discuss the concept of reparative justice
- We will discuss the role of fairy stories in the twenty-first century
This workshop is experiential, and participants will be invited to volunteer for some of the activities. If there are enough volunteers, we will explore a scene from a fairy tale through Symbolic Psychodrama.
We will be doing expressive drawing and creative writing, so please have some paper and coloured pencils or crayons available.
Stories have been with us since the very beginning of humanity when we gathered around the fire to listen to myths of creation to connect us with our inner selves, our clan and the universe. Stories have accompanied us through dark times, of war and plague and they are here to accompany us now, with their medicine, in this time of uncertainty.